Black Duck Releases Suite 6.1 to Speed Open Source Discovery and Improve Visibility, Control and Collaboration
Express Scan Capability Quickly Delivers Inventory of OSS Assets, Offers Organizations of all Sizes a Step-by-Step Approach to Controlling Code
Burlington, Mass., June 19, 2012 – Black Duck today announced enhancements to the Black Duck® Suite, the market-leading open source software (OSS) management and governance platform. Suite 6.1 includes Express Scan, which speeds open source code discovery and delivers ease-of-use, scalability and code visibility to improve compliance and developer collaboration, and reduce the cost and time it takes for rework during the entire software development lifecycle.
Suite 6.1 enables development organizations of all sizes, from start-ups to the Global 2000, to rapidly discover and identify OSS and other recurring code in software libraries, binaries and source code. While research has shown that best practices companies use 60-80 percent* open source software in their development process, reaching that level requires overcoming some key challenges. Often the first step is a rapid code scan to get a snapshot of the code base and establish the insight needed to implement an effective OSS strategy.
“Increased adoption of open source by IT organizations is driving the need for new types of governance and management solutions that automate assessment and tracking of components, enable greater collaboration, and provide actionable information throughout the software development lifecycle,” said Mark Driver, Research Vice President, Gartner.
Black Duck Suite 6.1 enhancements include:
- Express Scan, which allows developers to get a high-level snapshot of a code base in 80 percent less time than industry norms for code scanning
- Ability to populate a centralized software catalog for developer access, enhancing collaboration and quality
- Enablement of standardization and reuse of approved code, speeding the development process while ensuring compliance
- A comprehensive set of scanning capabilities covering software libraries, binaries and source code, ensuring complete insight into code makeup, licensing, and security vulnerabilities
- Enhanced Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) tool integration framework that is repository-neutral, including easy integration with:
- Issue tracking systems including Jira, ClearCase and Remedy
- Build systems including Maven, Hudson, Jenkins and BuildForge
- Full range of Software Configuration Management Systems and tools
- Scalability and flexibility to meet the needs of a range of organizations; Suite 6.1 can be deployed on premises or as software as a service (SaaS)
The new Express Scan feature leverages file-level matching, providing new levels of code visibility – often the first step in proper governance. Development managers can quickly identify code provenance to improve management and control and, ultimately, software quality and supportability. Express Scan findings are displayed in an executive dashboard, which provides summary component information, and includes a drill-down capability for further analysis.
“As a growing business analytics and data integration software company, we understand the importance of solution scalability,” said Doug Johnson, Executive Vice President and COO, Pentaho. “Black Duck provides the best solutions for open source code visibility, control and collaboration, and knowing that we can use the same solution – namely, the Black Duck Suite – no matter how large our company becomes is a significant business advantage.”
“These enhancements to the Black Duck Suite will put enterprise-class code scanning capability within reach of all software development organizations, and do so quickly, efficiently and effectively,” said Tim Yeaton, President & CEO, Black Duck Software. “Faster scans let development managers analyze and understand more of the code under their purview, improve management and ensure compliance. With improved visibility, control and collaboration, Suite 6.1 enables faster, higher quality software development.” Black Duck Suite 6.1 is available now.
*Source: 2012 Future of Open Source Survey: http://www.slideshare.net/blackducksoftware/the-2012-future-of-open-source-survey-results.
About Black Duck Software
Black Duck Software is the leading provider of strategy, products and services for automating the management, governance and secure use of open source software, at enterprise scale, in a multi-source development process. Black Duck enables companies to shorten time-to-solution and reduce development costs while mitigating the management, compliance and security challenges associated with open source software. Black Duck Software powers Koders.com, the industry's leading code search engine for open source, and Ohloh.net, the largest free public directory of open source software and a vibrant web community of free and open source software developers and users. Black Duck is among the 500 largest software companies in the world, according to Softwaremag.com. For more information, visit @black_duck_sw.