Customer Support Plans
Our Customer Support Plans ensure the optimum performance of your Black Duck solutions.
For information on how to contact Black Duck Customer Support, please visit the Contact page.
Please click on a section header below to find out more information about Black Duck’s Customer Support Plans:
Section 1: Customer Support Process
Section 2: Definition of Tier 1, 2 and 3 Support
Section 3: Assignment of Support Request Severity
Section 4: Response and Resolution Targets
Section 5: Customer Escalation Procedures
When a customer contacts Black Duck online or by email or phone, a customer support engineer will address their request. The engineer will open a case in Black Duck’s case management system. A unique number is assigned to the case and provided to the customer. The customer support engineer will then perform the Tier 1 support activities for the customer case.
Support Request Status: The following table describes the possible status assigned to a case at any given time.
Black Duck offers three tiers of Customer Support. Standard Support is available Monday to Friday, 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM local time. For customers on the Enhanced Support Plan, Tier 1 Support is available 24 hours, 7 days a week. For customers on the Premium Plan, Tier 2 support is available 24 hours, 7 days a week. For the table listing the difference in hours of coverage, visit the Overview Page.
Tier 1 Support
The Tier 1 customer support team will:
- Enter data into the case log describing the problem and assign a severity to the case (please refer to "Assignment of Severity Levels" section below).
- Provide the customer with a resolution and, based on the customer’s feedback, "close" the case. A resolution is generally one of the following: an answer to a customer question, a suggestion of how to accomplish a particular task or a workaround to a program issue.
For those problems not solved during the first contact with the customer, the customer support engineer will provide an estimated time-frame for follow up and will escalate the case to Tier 2 support.
Tier 2 Support
The Tier 2 customer support team will:
- Follow up with customers: answer questions, report the status of a pending issue, update customer expectations, or get more information about a pending issue.
- Attempt to provide workarounds to address the problem within the time limits set forth in the section "Response and Resolution Targets" below.
- In situations where a program is not operating as documented or a new feature or functionality has been requested, the customer support engineer will report the problem through Black Duck’s bug tracking database for investigation and release targeting based on the request severity.
- Escalate unresolved support requests to Tier 3. Work closely with Tier 3 engineers to analyze, understand, and resolve difficult issues.
- Verify that a pending issue can be ‘closed’ when a satisfactory resolution has been provided to customer.
Tier 3 Support
If a support request is still not resolved by Tier 2 support, the support request is then escalated to a team of Black Duck engineers for resolution.
In extreme cases where no workaround is available, the pending support request is a mission-critical problem for the customer, and the problem results from a defect in the program, Tier 3 support will provide a program patch to resolve the problem. This level of support is provided at the discretion of the customer support manager overseeing the particular program.
When a customer opens a support request, a customer support engineer will assess the severity of the request based on the customer's description of the problem. The severity of the support request will be recorded in the Case Management System which can be accessed in the Customer Success Community.
Table 2 below provides the definitions used in identifying and assigning a severity level to the customer's reported problem.
Black Duck will use reasonable efforts to meet the following resolution targets:
At Black Duck, we have internal escalation procedures as well as Customer Escalation Procedures. Our internal escalation procedures help us detect case irregularities based upon age, activity and other characteristics. If problems, or a lack of progress is detected, internal escalation procedures are invoked. Black Duck has also implemented a Customer Escalation Process for those situations where the impact and severity of an issue significantly change or if the resolution progress does not meet your expectations. This process can be initiated using any of the following methods, in recommended order:
- Speak with, or email directly your case owner
- Using the Customer Success Community, add a case comment with the escalation reason and increase the priority of your case
- Speak with, or email directly your Customer Success Manager (CSM)
- Call support at +1 781.891.5100, and choose menu option 5.
Once a case is escalated, a broader technical audience is engaged along with Support and Engineering management. All escalated issues are subject to internal reviews multiple times a week. In extreme cases, Support, Customer Success, and Engineering leadership will become directly involved. If you would like to learn more about the Black Duck Escalation process, speak directly to the Technical Support Engineer you are working with, or your Customer Success Manager.