Software and Consulting Company Adds 57 Customers Including Visteon and Rackspace; Unveils Ohloh Open Data Initiative
Burlington, MA October 25, 2012 – Black Duck Software, the trusted partner for open source software adoption, management, and governance, today reported another successful quarter with growth in new business sales propelled by the automotive and financial services sectors’ continued adoption of open source. The company sustained its over 30 percent average annual growth and reported 32 percent new business growth, reflecting the importance of the Black Duck® Suite in these and other markets.
“Complex sourcing and increased demand for open source as part of software delivery is driving a need for management and governance -- automation is key to enable business organizations to innovate effectively,” said Melinda Ballou, program director for IDC's Application Lifecycle Management and Executive Strategies service. “Adaptive software drives competitive positioning, and well-managed open source can enable efficient execution.”
Third quarter 2012 milestones include:
- The addition of 57 new customers to the company’s base of more than 1,000 enterprises around the world. New customers include Bolder Thinking, CompuPay, Fiberlink Communications, Quorum, Rackspace, Renesas Electronics Corporation, Roper Industries and Visteon Corporation, demonstrating strong growth in automotive and financial services.
- Significant updates to Ohloh.net, including licensing Ohloh data under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license. In addition, Black Duck announced the availability of a public beta version of its powerful new open source code search engine, Ohloh Code.
- The addition of 17 new employees, primarily in engineering and professional services, bringing Black Duck’s total number of employees to more than 190.
“Our award-winning products and services enable our customers to strategically utilize open source technologies and methods to achieve business success,” said Tim Yeaton, Black Duck Software President and CEO. “And as we continue to expand the footprint of our offerings into sectors like automotive and financial services, the value of the pro-active use of open source in enterprises of all sizes becomes more apparent.”
Additional Black Duck accomplishments during the period included:
- Named to the Software Magazine 500 for the fourth consecutive year. The company ranked #383 this year, moving up 23 spots from its 2011 ranking.
- Added a new UK reseller, SDC Systems, to increase focus on the embedded systems market.
About Black Duck
Offering award-winning software and consulting, Black Duck is the partner of choice for open source software adoption, governance and management. Enterprises of every size depend on Black Duck to harness the power of open source technologies and methods. As part of the greater OSS community, Black Duck connects developers to comprehensive OSS resources through Ohloh.net, and to the latest commentary from industry experts through the Open Source Delivers blog. Black Duck also hosts the Open Source Think Tank, an international event where thought leaders collaborate on the future of open source. Black Duck is headquartered near Boston and has offices in San Mateo, St. Louis, London, Paris, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Seoul and Beijing. For more information about how to leverage open source to deliver faster innovation, greater creativity and improved efficiency, follow us at @black_duck_sw.
Black Duck Software