Black Duck Hub Receives ‘Ready for IBM Security Intelligence’ Validation
Partnership enables organizations to control security risks in both open source and custom-developed software through an integrated approach to application security management
BURLINGTON, MA – February 4, 2016 – Black Duck®, a global leader in automated solutions for securing and managing open source software, today announced that it has received IBM PartnerWorld’s Ready for IBM Security Intelligence designation for its Black Duck Hub security solution. As a result, Black Duck Hub has been validated to integrate with IBM Security AppScan to better protect customers around the world.
The technology integration allows organizations to identify and manage application security risks for both custom-developed and open source code through a single view within IBM Security AppScan that provides comprehensive information about vulnerabilities and the ability to manage remediation.
Black Duck Hub identifies and inventories the open source in applications and containers and maps any known security vulnerabilities by comparing the inventory against data from the National Vulnerability Database (NVD) and VulnDB. Hub also provides continuous monitoring for newly discovered open source vulnerabilities.
IBM® Security AppScan® Enterprise enables organizations to mitigate application security risk, strengthen application security program management initiatives and achieve regulatory compliance.
Organizations worldwide are struggling to keep their applications safe from vulnerabilities. Among their top challenges are visibility and control over risks in open source code. Thousands of new vulnerabilities in open source are reported annually and 98 percent of organizations are using more open source in their applications than they are aware of, leaving them exposed to vulnerabilities such as Heartbleed, Shellshock, Ghost or Venom.
“It’s not uncommon for open source software to make up 40 to 50 percent of a large organization’s code base. By integrating Black Duck Hub with AppScan, IBM customers will gain visibility into and control of the open source they’re using. This will enable them to better understand and reduce security risks,” said N. Louis Shipley, Black Duck CEO.
“We’re dedicated to enabling a holistic approach to enterprise application security management,” said Lawrence Gerard, Program Director, Application Security, IBM. “Through our technology integration with Black Duck, our joint customers will be able to identify and remediate security vulnerabilities in both their open source and custom code – all through IBM Security AppScan Enterprise. This gives them a more complete and effective way to manage application security."
Key features available to IBM AppScan customers using Black Duck Hub:
- Comprehensive identification of open source: Rapid scanning and identification of open source libraries, versions, license and community activities using the Black Duck® KnowledgeBase™ – the industry’s most complete database for open source
- Assessment of open source risks: Automated mapping of open source inventory to known vulnerabilities
- Integrated remediation orchestration and policy enforcement: Open source vulnerability remediation prioritization and mitigation guidance
- Continuous monitoring for new security vulnerabilities: Ongoing monitoring and alerting on newly reported open source security vulnerabilities
For more information:
- Join a webinar co-hosted by Black Duck and IBM on Feb. 18, 2016, at 11 a.m. ET: http://info.blackducksoftware.com/ibm-webinar-Feb18.html
- Read this Security Intelligence blog post co-authored by IBM and Black Duck on the need for integrated application security: https://securityintelligence.com/custom-and-open-source-code-a-new-approach-to-application-security-management
- Visit blackducksoftware.com/ibm or http://ibm.com/partnerworld/gsd/solutiondetails.do?solution=52753 to see a demo video or request your own
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a further discussion, demo or free trial
The Ready for IBM Security Intelligence alliance is designed to promote technology collaboration and integration to expand and enhance security coverage, collapse silos of information and increase situational awareness and insights. With the PartnerWorld program and Ready for Security Intelligence validation, IBM supports collaboration with its Business Partners to enable the integration of product capabilities and improved security capabilities for mutual customers.
About Black Duck Software
Organizations worldwide use Black Duck Software’s industry-leading products to secure and manage open source software, eliminating the pain related to security vulnerabilities, compliance and operational risk. Black Duck is headquartered in Burlington, MA, and has offices in Mountain View, CA, London, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Seoul and Beijing. For more information, visit www.blackducksoftware.com.
Brian Carter, Director of Strategic Communications