Black Duck Software Highlights Successful 1st Half
Leading Open Source Software Management Company Cites Continued Customer Growth, Launch of the Black Duck Suite 7 OSS Logistics Solution
Burlington, Mass., – July 31, 2014 – Black Duck Software, the leading OSS Logistics solutions provider enabling the adoption and management of open source software (OSS), today recapped a successful first half of 2014, which included several new customers, additions to the company’s executive team, and the successful launch of its next generation OSS solution, aimed at helping customers better manage and optimize the OSS in use at their companies.
Black Duck unveiled Black Duck Suite 7, providing customers with a comprehensive OSS Logistics solution to help maximize the benefits of open source while managing the associated operational, legal, and security risks. Delivered through Suite 7, Black Duck’s OSS Logistics solution helps enterprises choose the right OSS code; approve code automatically with built-in policies and workflows; scan code for origins and licenses; track what code has been used and where; secure against vulnerabilities; and confidently deliver products and code throughout the supply chain.
“We’ve seen a great deal of success throughout the first half of this year – success from a customer growth standpoint, and success in increasing industry awareness of how significant OSS Logistics is to the development process,” said Lou Shipley, President and CEO of Black Duck Software. “With OSS increasingly being seen as a strategic advantage – one that can help companies create more innovative and secure products – it is critical to understand and properly manage these assets to realize their full competitive advantage.”
In the first half of the year, Black Duck added several new customers, growing the company’s worldwide customer base to more than 1,400. Several customers were in the financial services industry, highlighting how important software development – and OSS – is to every industry. For some additional background on how financial services companies can better manage their OSS Logistics with Black Duck, see recent industry case studies:
- Open Source Powers Financial Services' Omni-Channel Adoption
- Cost Benefits: A Financial Services Success Story
- Open Source Governance: The Key to Compliance & Security in Global Consumer Payments
Earlier this year, Black Duck also announced the 6th annual edition of its Open Source Rookies of the Year Awards, recognizing the top new open source projects initiated in 2013. This year’s winners included notable projects such as Appium, Docker, Ghost, OpenIoT, and XPrivacy.
Additional 1H 2014 milestones included:
- Black Duck expanded its leadership team with the appointment of Bill Ledingham as the company’s new Chief Technology Officer and Executive Vice President of Engineering, and the naming of Mark Fusco to the company’s Board of Directors.
- At the successful 9th Annual Open Source Think Tank event, Black Duck hosted lively industry discussions and case studies on the role open source will play in the emerging Internet of Things (IoT).
- Black Duck and North Bridge announced the results of the eighth annual Future of Open Source Survey. This year’s results point toward the increased strategic role open source plays in today’s enterprises, the growth of first-time developers within the OSS community, and the impact it has on daily life. View the expert panel discussion of this year’s results at http://advance.blackducksoftware.com/content/WRFoOS14.
- When the OpenSSL Heartbleed Bug was exposed in April, Black Duck customers were able to quickly and easily identify if and where their code was affected – helping them to immediately remediate any issues. Black Duck’s OSS Logistics solutions allow customers to gain unprecedented visibility into their open source components and receive automated alerts about identified vulnerabilities. Learn more here: http://www.blackducksoftware.com/oss-logistics/secure.
- Black Duck was thrilled to be named to the SD Times100 for the seventh consecutive year.
About Black Duck Software
Black Duck provides the world’s only end-to-end OSS Logistics solution, enabling enterprises of every size to optimize the opportunities and solve the logistical challenges that come with open source adoption and management. As part of the greater open source community, Black Duck connects developers to comprehensive OSS resources through The Black Duck Open Hub (formerly Ohloh), and to the latest commentary from industry experts through the Open Source Delivers blog. Black Duck also hosts the Open Source Think Tank, an international event where thought leaders collaborate on the future of open source. Black Duck is headquartered near Boston and has offices in San Mateo, London, Paris, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Seoul, and Beijing. For more information about how to leverage open source to deliver faster innovation, greater creativity, and improved efficiency, visit www.blackducksoftware.com and follow the company at @black_duck_sw.
fama PR for Black Duck