As a financial services organization, you need to be agile, innovative and competitive while managing risks, costs and compliance concerns. Developing applications and capabilities that optimize the customer experience are top of mind. As such, IT groups are turning to open source technologies and methods to achieve these goals.
Although many financial services organizations are successfully using open source software (OSS), few have instituted proactive management solutions to adequately guide the use of OSS and address the associated governance and compliance challenges.
According to Gartner, “By 2015 at least 95 percent of mainstream IT organizations will leverage open source solutions within mission critical software deployments,” but ”Less than 50 percent of IT organizations will have effective open source governance programs in place.” Open source management is critical for:
- Helping developers find and assess the best and most relevant OSS components from among the hundreds of thousands available on the Internet
- Controlling how components are integrated and deployed
- Maintaining quality when software is built from code compiled from large numbers of external components
- Managing code across the application lifecycle – both open source and internally-sourced code
- Reducing operational and security risk
- Ensuring regulatory and organizational compliance
Black Duck Solutions
Black Duck provides software and consulting to deliver end-to-end solutions throughout the development lifecycle. The Black Duck® Suite is a comprehensive set of governance and compliance automation tools that enable development organizations to harness the power of open source technologies and methods. Olliance Consulting, a division of Black Duck, offers open source governance, policy and strategy consulting services to help you achieve your business objectives.
Ohloh, a free community resource, is the most comprehensive public directory of OSS and the contributors who create and maintain it. Ohloh Code is a publicly available, free code search engine indexing more than 10 billion lines of code.