A fundamental shift is changing the way automotive companies compete. Historically, cars have been differentiated by manufacturing materials and mechanical engineering. The cars of tomorrow, however, will be defined by software advances and user-friendly technology interfaces that make drivers feel more connected with their cars, instead of leather seats and raw horsepower.
This shift is being powered, in large part, by open source software (OSS). Currently, premium-class cars host more than 100 million lines of software code, nearly 70 percent of which is in the "head unit" of the telematics and in-vehicle infotainment (IVI) subsystems. Even more code will be needed to support automotive technology as it continues to advance.
As a result of this increasing complexity and the need for efficient and continual innovation, automative manufacturers (OEMs), Tier 1 suppliers and automotive software developers are seeking partners to help them harness the unlimited ingenuity emerging from the OSS ecosystem to:
- Reduce development costs
- Speed time-to-market of IVI systems
- Gain competitive advantage through innovation
- Avoid software platform vendor lock-in
Black Duck Solutions
Black Duck is uniquely positioned to address the needs of the automotive industry with our trusted open source governance and compliance solutions and strategic open source policy development services. The Black Duck® Suite allows automotive integrators, developers and independent software vendors (ISVs) to seamlessly implement OSS best practices while streamlining the development process and making the most efficient use of development resources.
Governance Fast Start™ for Automotive is a workshop-style consultative and advisory service specifically designed for automotive OEMs and their suppliers. Black Duck Consulting offers open source governance, policy and strategy consulting services to help you achieve your business objectives.
In addition to our first-class products, consulting and thought-leadership initiatives, we’ve partnered with the following automotive organizations:
- The GENIVI Alliance is an automotive and consumer electronics industry association dedicated to the development and adoption of an open in-vehicle infotainment platform based on open source software.
- BearingPoint is a global management and technology consulting firm with unparalleled expertise in the automotive industry.
- MontaVista specializes in embedded Linux-based OSS platforms and offers the Automotive Technology Platform (ATP), the industry leading GENIVI-certified IVI platform.