Comprehensive Database of Open Source Metadata
The Black Duck® KnowledgeBase™ is the industry’s most comprehensive database of open source project information. Since 2002, Black Duck has searched the Internet for information on open source and downloadable code, making the KnowledgeBase an integral and unique asset that differentiates our products and services.
Black Duck products leverage the KnowledgeBase for:
- Code search, scanning and analysis
- Ongoing, automated license compatibility notification
- Comparing software in any code base to the known universe of open source code, and reporting matches
- Cataloging hard data that documents the code origin
The KnowledgeBase helps developers find code and components, and includes information on over 800,000 unique projects from more than 5,500 sites, and contains detailed data for over 2,200 unique software licenses (GPL, LGPL, Apache, etc.), including the full license text and dozens of encoded attributes and obligations for each license. It is continuously updated with thousands of new projects on a regular basis, and because it contains code and components from various sources, some of which have disappeared over the years, it is nearly impossible to replicate the data.
Black Duck employs a team of developers, affectionately referred to as “spiders,” dedicated to maintaing the KnowledgeBase, along with supporting the technology infrastructure and processes that have been developed over the course of many years.
- Extensive licensing information
- Compares code fragments, source files, fully-formed components and binary files including executable files, static or dynamic libraries, images, icons, sound files, font files, logo files and archive files
- Custom code printing allows you to add internally developed or third-party licensed code for future comparative analysis
- Quickly find and identify encryption software within products to automatically determine the applicable export rules for the "crypto" elements
To learn more about how the KnowledgeBase can help your organization maximize the power of open source, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.